Developing your Oral History Skills
This course is open to oral historians who have attended the OHS Introduction to Oral History training day. This ‘follow-up’ course provides an opportunity to reflect on and strengthen oral history skills. Participants are required to have recorded at least five interviews. It is not suitable for newcomers to oral history, who should attend the introductory course. Places are limited to twelve per day course and demand is likely to exceed available places, so please apply early. Each course is led by one of the BL/OHS-accredited trainers. In order to facilitate discussion attendees are asked to spend a little time (about 30 minutes) in preparation in advance of the course. Due to high demand and in order to ensure that each course has attendees with a variety of interests and backgrounds, only one person from any one institution or project may attend the initial course.
The programme for each one-day course is as follows:
- 10:00-10:15 Welcome and introductions
- 10:15-11:15 Strengths and challenges in interviewing
- 11:15-11:30 Coffee/Tea (provided)
- 11:30-13:00 Reflection and discussion of issues arising in oral history extracts provided by participants on the course
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch (not provided)
- 14:00-15:15 Reflection and discussion (continued)
- 15:15-15:30 Coffee/Tea (provided)
- 15:30-16:30 Small group work on topics nominated by the tutor, reporting back to the whole group
- 16:30-17:00 Feedback, Q & A and evaluation
Full attendance fee: £130.00
OHS member fee: £95.00
How to Book
- There will be no refunds for cancelled places
- Due to high demand and in order to ensure that each course has attendees with a variety of interests and backgrounds, a maximum of two people from any one institution may attend each course.
The following OHS training dates are available:
|Dates and times||Location||Availability||Booking|
If there are currently no dates found for courses please contact the training administrator if you would like to be notified of any future dates.