Introduction to Oral History (in-person course)
This in-person training course will take place at the British Library in London. The programme for the course is as follows (please note this is a sample structure and may differ on the day).
- There will be no refunds for cancelled places.
- Due to high demand and in order to ensure that each course has attendees with a variety of interests and backgrounds, a maximum of two people from any one institution may attend each course.
- There are two methods of payment. You can pay online via PayPal, debit or credit card or you can make an offline payment where an invoice will be sent to your organisation. Please select the appropriate option in the booking form.
- 10:00 - 10:15
- Welcome and introductions
- 10:15 - 11:15
- What is Oral History?
- Understanding memory
- 11:15 - 11:30
- Short break
- 11:30 - 13:00
- Getting started
- Aims and objectives, who to interview, question approaches
- 13:00 - 14:00
- Lunch (not provided)
- 14:00 - 14:30
- An introduction to choosing your recording equipment
- 14:30 - 15:30
- The interview: dos and don'ts
- 15:30 - 15:45
- Short break
- 15:45 - 16:15
- Practice interview
- 16:15 - 16:45
- Evaluation of practice interview
- 16:45 - 17:15
- Summarising, transcription, copyright, archiving
- 17:15 - 17:30
- Review of the day, Q&A and feedback