Developing your Oral History Skills Workshop
This workshop is being delivered online during the Covid-19 pandemic.
This workshop is for oral historians looking to share experiences and discuss issues that can arise when recording oral history. Guided by the trainers you will reflect on interviewing practices and strengthen your oral history skills through listening sessions and feedback. Each workshop is led by two accredited trainers, with the course content adapted to suit the participants.
Participants are required to have recorded at least two oral history interviews prior to attending. The workshop isn’t suitable for newcomers to oral history, who are advised to begin with the Introduction to Oral History course.
Places are limited to eight per course so please apply early.
Participants are asked to spend a little time preparing for the workshop. Each participant is to send a 5-10 minute clip from one of their interviews to the Training Administrator a week before the workshop. The clip should draw attention to a particular topic/issue which you would like to discuss with the group. If your chosen clip is not in English please also submit a translated transcript. Further instructions will be distributed with the booking confirmation.
This online training workshop is delivered using Zoom video call over two consecutive morning sessions, 9.30am – 1.15pm. There are half hour breaks mid-morning. The programme for the workshop is as follows:
First day: 9.30am – 1.15pm
- 09:30 – 09:45 Welcome and introductions
- 09:45 – 11:00 Overview of oral history project from each participant, including a strength and a weakness
- 11:00 – 11:30 Break
- 11:30 – 13:00 Reflection and discussion of issues arising in oral history extracts provided by participants
- 13:00 – 13:15 Evaluation of the day
Second day: 9.30am – 1.15pm
- 09:30 – 11:00 Reflection and discussion of issues arising in oral history extracts provided by participants
- 11:00 – 11:30 Break
- 11:30 – 12:45 Scenarios: the tutors present a number of problematic scenarios to be discussed in small groups
- 12:45 – 13:15 Evaluation of the day and Q & A
Full attendance fee: £140.00
OHS member fee: £100.00
How to Book
To register your interest in attending this workshop please contact the training administrator. The next date will be scheduled once enough participants have signed up for the course.
- There will be no refunds for cancelled places
- Due to high demand and in order to ensure that each course has attendees with a variety of interests and backgrounds, a maximum of two people from any one institution or project may attend each course.