Developing your Oral History Skills
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and recent government advice we regret that all Oral History Society / NLS-BL oral history training courses have been postponed with immediate effect. If you would like to be contacted when new training dates are announced please email email@example.com with the subject line ‘Mailing list – training’.
This course is open to oral historians who have attended the OHS Introduction to Oral History training day. This ‘follow-up’ course provides an opportunity to reflect on and strengthen oral history skills. Participants are required to have recorded at least two interviews. It is not suitable for newcomers to oral history, who should attend the introductory course.
Places are limited to twelve per day course and demand is likely to exceed available places, so please apply early. Each course is led by one of the BL/OHS-accredited trainers. In order to facilitate discussion attendees are asked to spend a little time (about 30 minutes) in preparation in advance of the course.
The programme for each one-day course is as follows:
- 10:00-10:15 Welcome and introductions
- 10:15-11:15 Overview of oral history project from each participant, including a strength and a weakness
- 11:15-11:30 Coffee/Tea (provided)
- 11:30-13:00 Reflection and discussion of issues arising in oral history extracts provided by participants (each participant to have sent in advance a 5-10 minute clip from an interview, drawing attention to a particular issue)
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch (not provided)
- 14:00-15:15 Reflection and discussion (continued)
- 15:15-15:30 Coffee/Tea (provided)
- 15:30-16:30 Scenarios: the tutor presents a number of problematic scenarios, which are tackled by the participants in small groups; conclusions then discussed
- 16:30-17:00 Feedback, Q & A and evaluation
Full attendance fee: £140.00
OHS member fee: £100.00
How to Book
- There will be no refunds for cancelled places
- Due to high demand and in order to ensure that each course has attendees with a variety of interests and backgrounds, a maximum of one person from any one institution or project may attend each course.
The following OHS training dates are available:
|Dates and times||Location||Availability||Booking|