Developing your Oral History Skills
This course is being delivered online during the Covid-19 pandemic.
This workshop provides an opportunity to reflect on and strengthen existing oral history skills. Adapted to the needs of the group, the workshop provides an opportunity to share experiences and discuss issues that can arise when recording oral history. You can also receive some feedback and advice on your interviewing technique.
Places are limited to eight per course and demand is likely to exceed available places, so please apply early. Each course is led by two BL/OHS-accredited trainers.
Attendees are asked to spend a little time (about 30 minutes) preparing for the workshop. Each participant is to send a 5-10 minute clip from one of their interviews to the Training Administrator a week before the workshop. The clip should draw attention to a particular issue for discussion.
Please note that participants are required to have recorded at least two oral history interviews prior to attending this workshop. It is not suitable for newcomers to oral history, who should attend the Introduction to Oral History course.
This online training course is delivered over Zoom video call. Each course is run over two consecutive morning sessions, 9.30am – 1.15pm, with half hour breaks mid-morning. The programme for the course is as follows:
First day: 9.30am – 1.15pm
- 09:30 – 09:45 Welcome and introductions
- 09:45 – 11:00 Overview of oral history project from each participant, including a strength and a weakness
- 11:00 – 11:30 Break
- 11:30 – 13:00 Reflection and discussion of issues arising in oral history extracts provided by participants
- 13:00 – 13:15 Evaluation of the day
Second day: 9.30am – 1.15pm
- 09:30 – 11:00 Reflection and discussion of issues arising in oral history extracts provided by participants
- 11:00 – 11:30 Break
- 11:30 – 12:45 Scenarios: the tutors present a number of problematic scenarios to be discussed in small groups
- 12:45 – 13:15 Evaluation of the day and Q & A
Full attendance fee: £140.00
OHS member fee: £100.00
How to Book
To register your interest in attending this workshop please contact the training administrator. The next date will be scheduled once enough participants have signed up for the course.
- There will be no refunds for cancelled places
- Due to high demand and in order to ensure that each course has attendees with a variety of interests and backgrounds, a maximum of two people from any one institution or project may attend each course.
|Dates and times||Location||Availability||Booking|
|11/03/2021 - 12/03/2021 |
(9:30 am - 1:15 pm)
Zoom call, Time zone: London, United Kingdom
|Places Available||Book Now|
If there are currently no dates found for courses please contact the training administrator if you would like to be notified of any future dates.