Introduction to Data Protection Legislation (UK GDPR) for Oral Historians
This workshop is run by the British Library’s oral history department and the Oral History Society. Following significant recent changes in data protection law, this workshop will explore the impact of these changes on oral historians, including some sample scenarios. The course is aimed at interviewers, archivists, and project managers who are recording and collecting recorded testimonies and narrative data for the purpose of archiving and public access/reuse.
For guidance on data protection for oral historians and organisations holding oral history interviews see the Oral History Society advice pages.
The UK Data Protection Act came into effect on 25 May 2018 and applies to any organisation, individual or group which collects personal data. It embraces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and has been unchanged by the UK’s departure from the European Union. This applies to oral history projects, charities, community organisations, youth groups, libraries, museums, archives, educational organisations, and individual researchers whether salaried, self-employed or voluntary.
This online training workshop is delivered over Zoom video call. The programme for the course is as follows (please note this is a sample structure and may differ on the day):
- 10:00 – 10:15 Introductions
- 10:15 – 10:30 Quick-fire scenarios
- 10:30 – 11:00 Introduction to GDPR
- 11:00 – 11:20 Break
- 11:20 – 12:15 Practical group session
- 12:15 – 12:45 Key steps for GDPR compliance
- 12:45 – 13:00 Quick-fire scenarios: The answers
- 13:00 – 13:15 Q&A
Full attendance fee: £30.00
OHS / ARA member fee: £20.00
How to book
- There will be no refunds for cancelled places
- Due to high demand and in order to ensure that each course has attendees with a variety of interests and backgrounds, a maximum of two people from any one institution may attend each course.
The following OHS training dates are available:
If there are currently no dates found for courses please contact the training administrator if you would like to be notified of any future dates.